Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I hope your day is going well. I'm extremely lost and I hope…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl! I hope...

Hi Pearl! I hope your day is going well. I'm extremely lost and I hope you can guide me in the right direction. There was a Life Insurance Policy opened up for me when I was a minor. I was not aware of this. I have recently been receiving letters stating that there was a loan taken out from the Life Insurance Policy and that its time to pay it back. When I called the Insurance Company to find out about this, I was informed that I was the one that took the loan out. I was under the impression that you needed some sort of paperwork and a wet signature to authorize a loan. Not only that, the Insurance is based out of Southern California. I live in Northern California. This apparent loan was taken out in 2006, however, I had already been living in Northern California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

I have called the Insurance Company many times since my first initial phone call and for some reason I cannot get ahold of anyone at the office. I have called multiple times at various times for the past 3 weeks. I have left numerous voicemails and have gotten no response. This has not been discussed with any other Manager, HR or an attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I an think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/28/2017
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order for the life insurance company to charge would with liability for a loan, they will have to produce a contract for the loan with your signature on it. Presuming that you were not the one to take out the loan, then the insurance company was defrauded by someone else (not you) and this loan will be their loss.

Because someone at the insurance company likely realizes that it was a company error, that could explain why you are not getting much help from them.

My suggestion is that you have a local insurance law attorney write a demand letter to the insurance company demanding that they either provide proof that you applied for and were granted the loan, or to remove the loan from the policy. You could do this yourself, but given their present refusal to deal with you, I think that you need the extra legal clout of an attorney's letterhead to get to the bottom of their error and eliminate the cloud on your policy.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney