Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in IL but I want to return to NY. Rents are high in…

Customer Question
I live in IL...

I live in IL but I want to return to NY. Rents are high in the Westchester area and Imy income is only social security. Is it possible to get funding to help me obtain housing?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

I want to return to Mount Vernon New York. My income is just social security. I am 75 years old and well able to take care of myself. I need help with funding.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Where I live now i feel isolated because all my friends are in NY. I lived there from 1962 t0 2014 and want to return "home".

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/28/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Looks like what is available is limited to is the Section 8 voucher program.

Section 8 is a federal rental assistance program of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) but administered by local offices. It is not an emergency assistance program and applicants may wait a considerable amount of time for assistance. There are 17 Section 8 program offices in Westchester County. Each office is an independent program with its own waiting list for assistance, program guidelines and areas of assistance. Not all programs may have open waiting lists.

The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirement of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

The owner or landlord must agree to rent under the program. This unit may be the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Section 8 program administrators. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the Section 8 program PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the Section 8 program, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

Who can I contact for more information and assistance?
Felicia Ramos, Director
Westchester Section 8 Program
112 East Post Road, 1st Floor
White Plains, NY 10601(###) ###-####/p>

There is also an agency called Lifting Up Westchester that offers housing assistance.

Please let me know if I can clarify any information or provide you with more information. If I have fully answered your question, I would ask that you leave a positive rating for me at this time by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so I am credited for my time and assistance by the site. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney