Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can we make puzzles using sports teams' logos? Also, puzzles

Can we make puzzles using...
Can we make puzzles using sports teams' logos? Also, puzzles with movie characters such as WonderWoman-WW? Thank you.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, we sell handmade crafts at Farmers' Mkt. and would like to make a blue and orange basketball shape puzzle for the Warriors
7/28/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is no. The reason is because this would likely be a copyright infringement in because it would be a trademark infringement as well. A person is a copyright on something if they are the original creators or owners of a particular image, writing, or recording. For example, this would be a picture of Wonder Woman. A trademark is any mark or logo that is owned by a person. For example, the logo for Wonder Woman or the logo for the Los Angeles Lakers are protected by trademark. Thus, if you make the puzzles using the sports teams logos, you would need to get approval from the owner of the trademark or the copyright to do so. Oftentimes, sports teams will license out that use of the logo to people for a fee. A lot of the times these fees will allow you to be able to put their logo on top of whatever products that are approved. there is a good chance that if you contact the marketing department for each of these organizations or with the league office, then you will be able to start talking about getting the licensing paperwork that you need.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer