After working for almost a year, for them, I had a verbal…

Customer Question
After working for almost...

After working for almost a year, for them, I had a verbal agreement with my employer to move to Idaho from California to continue taking care of his sick wife from June 6th to end of September. for the amount of 3,500 per month. before June ends he told me he does not need me anymore. and that he is having his sister to come and take care of her. I am back in California and was wondering if I can get at least half of the money he owes me from the small claim? if so do I need to go to Idaho or I can file a claim against him here in California? I do have one of their own friends as a witness. I appreciate any advice.

Lawyer's Assistant: What damages are sought in the case?

I have lost other job opportunity with more money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

I am a self employed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

You do not have a written employment agreement. So, that makes you an at-will employee. As such, your employment is terminable at any time.

However, you may be able to make a viable claim under the doctrine of promissory estoppel.

The elements of promissory estoppel are: (1) a clear and definite promise; (2) made with the expectation of reliance thereon; (3) the promisee in fact reasonably relied on the promise; and (4) detriment of a definite and substantial nature was incurred in reliance on the promise.

You would sue in the county where the employer lives.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!