Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am a tenant in an apartment building in Miami, fl. I am

Customer Question

Hi, I am a tenant in an apartment building in Miami, fl. I am suddenly being charged $2.50 as a convenience fee. I signed my lease and they stated I have to make payments on line. Without warning I am being charged this convenience fee and theeasing office is saying they have nothing to do with this fee
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Does your lease state you have to pay online, or was that just from the management?

.

Are you under a fixed term written lease?

.

Do they offer other ways to pay than online?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The lease states I have to pay online and they do not accept any other forms of payment. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what fixed term written lease means. They refuse to take any other forms of payment

Fixed term written lease means for a year, or 6 months....just not month to month..

.

If you are under a lease for a set term, like a year, then unless that lease states that you have to pay that fee to make a payment, then they can't impose it on you. A fixed term lease can't be changed until it expires. If you are month to month, they could change the terms (like adding the fee) with a 30 day written notice.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in other words if it isn't in the lease I am not responsible for that charge

Correct, the lease controls the relationship between you and the landlord. So if they have now tried to impose that charge on you without proper notice, or if you are under a fixed term lease, then that is not allowed and you don't have to pay it.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much