Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I'm trying to find out if a guy I've been talking to on the

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out if a guy I've been talking to on the phone for almost 3 yrs is for real or if it's a scam
JA: Were the police contacted? Were any fraud charges filed?
Customer: No
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Could you provide additional information?
What makes you think he may not be legitimate?
Has he requested money or bank account information?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Are you online with me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's in Dubai and keeps asking for money to get home. He tells me he's locked up for braking his government contract to leave Dubai and must pay. He is from London and froze his bank account before leaving.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Have you sent money?
Does he keep coming up with reasons to send more money even after you send him money?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."
If you can resolve the problem (it is usually just a matter of confirming with your bank or credit card that the charge is authorized) I look forward to speaking with you.
Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Still with me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My card info is correct there shouldn't be a problem
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Your card is probably fine. Sometimes the multiple charges trigger a fraud alert and you need to confirm the charge is authorized.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
You can also JA contact customer care to try to resolve the payment issue.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
We have been chatting a half hour now and I need to step away for about an hour to go into a meeting. I will be back and, if you wish to continue online, please answer the info requests I have made regarding if you are sending him money in Dubai.
If you wish to discuss this on the phone you will need to resolve the payment issue, as the site will not allow me call you until payment clears.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am back, if you wish to continue.