Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Experience:  dasdasd
23431962

I had an issue i had a question about. I am in Louisiana. no

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i had an issue i had a question about. I am in Louisiana.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no I caught my girlfriend cheating/lying to me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i just had a question i wanted to ask somebody
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am in Louisiana, USA.I had caught my girlfriend lying/cheating. I followed her and the guy to a restaurant. I didn't raise my voice or make any threats or anything.I did enter the restaurant in attempt to confront her and talk. I never made any threats of violence or anything of that nature.I did go to the address of the male and talked to him under a false pretense to see if he was dating my girlfriend. Just a brief exchange.We have broken up after the incident.I was wondering if I should be worried about anything? I don't think I was stalking.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She threatened to call the cops on me that I was stalking her. I don't know the seriousness of that threat.I had followed her one time before in the beginning of July, when she had lied to me about where she was going to be and I went to go check on her.For background. She had been lying to me for 5 months about 2 issues. She did not tell me she was married. And she told me she had a job, which in fact she did not have,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will you be calling me?
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: I don't know the seriousness of her threat either; I can't know what she is thinking. But in Louisiana, stalking is defined as the following: "A. Stalking is the intentional and repeated following or harassing of another person that would cause a reasonable person to feel alarmed or to suffer emotional distress. Stalking shall include but not be limited to the intentional and repeated uninvited presence of the perpetrator at another person's home, workplace, school, or any place which would cause a reasonable person to be alarmed, or to suffer emotional distress as a result of verbal or behaviorally implied threats of death, bodily injury, sexual assault, kidnaping, or any other statutory criminal act to himself or any member of his family or any person with whom he is acquainted."So it is not just following, but it also includes harassing her such that a reasonable person in her position (determined by a jury) would feel threatened or emotional distress by it. It doesn't matter that she cheated on you or lied to you; that is not an exception to a finding of stalking.I feel for you. I've been cheated on and it's terrible. But having criminal charges is worse. So my recomendation is to leave her alone and move on. I know that's hard, but it's better than facing criminal charges even if it turns out that you are not convicted.I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for response.Would I be in any trouble for talking to the the male under a false pretense? I just wanted to see how he would reference her. I did not introduce myself as the boyfriend, but as somebody else.Also, the original time I followed her in the beginning of July, I followed for 100 miles or so, as I did not know where they were going.Will that be an issue?Also, I had originally saw the males truck. I got the address from the license plate.I am going to not talk to her anymore.Should I be worried about any of this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to add, this is for JAMES.
Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: I don't think talking to the new boyfriend will be an issue by itself. But that, along with seeking his address by looking io his license plate, might be used as extemporaneous or circumstantial support that you've gone out of your way to find out stuff about her.In terms of following her for 100 miles, that could be a problem. It seems rather unusual and therefore considered something that a reasonable person (jury) would find problematic. But again, this is all speculation.I don't think there is any reason to worry, unless charges are filed against you. If that happens, get a lawyer.I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks James!One more question.Would I be able to sue for emotional distress from my ex girlfriend lying to me about being married and having a job for 6 months?I altered/ignored job opportunities to relocate because of a false pretense of our relationship and have fallen into a deep depression because of this situation. I was making life plans/choices based on the lies she told me.Let me know,Thanks!

That is a completely different question. Therefore, it must be posted to a new thread. For now, let's finish this one with a positive rating, and then we can worry about the tort claim in the other thread.

Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!