Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Does the owner of a life insurance policy wishes take

precedence over a designated beneficiary...
does the owner of a life insurance policy wishes take precedence over a designated beneficiary when he states in his will that he wants the policy to be distributed to his estate.but beneficiary wont agree
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what are you referring to
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
7/28/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes, the owner of the life insurance policy is the one that is in charge of who the beneficiaries are. Even if the beneficiary does not agree, the wishes of the owner of the policy is the one that is in control and it is the one that the insurance company will follow. one of the more interesting things that the owner of the policy would have to look out for his that the insurance company is going to distribute the money to the designated beneficiary even if the will says something different. Therefore, it's very important that the will in the beneficiary designation in the insurance policy or consistent. This will prevent very valuable funds from being tied up in a probate proceeding as the court tries to determine to whom the money will go.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thank you,are you saying that owner just needs to be specific to the insurance company as to how he wants the proceeds to be in the estate. Thank you. Do you practice in Texas

Correct. They need to be specific to the insurance company as to how much each beneficiary gets. I wished I practice in TX! but unfortunately, I'm out in CA. If you are looking for an attorney, they might help out.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Texas LRS - click here.

Thank you have a blessed future

You are too kind, thank you!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer