LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

If you appear before a judge and plead not guilty, and get

Customer Question

If you appear before a judge and plead not guilty, and get sent to the table with the DA and tell her you are not guilty and want a jury trial. The judge sends everyone to another room.The case is dissmised .can the DA refile the same case or would this be double jerperity.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is texs
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This was at pretrial to enter a plea for inhumane treatment of a animals
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did not bring any papers with me
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, the State can always refile.

The government must place a defendant “in jeopardy” for the Fifth Amendment clause to apply. The simple filing of criminal charges doesn’t cause jeopardy to “attach”—the proceedings must get to a further stage.

Generally, jeopardy attaches when the court swears in the jury. In a trial before a judge, jeopardy attaches after the first witness takes the oath and begins to testify.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!