Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a landlord, and very allergic to cats, can I refuse to

Customer Question

I am a landlord, and very allergic to cats, can I refuse to rent to a person with a cat, she says it is a 'service cat'
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I just told her we do not allow cats and she said I could not refuse her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is the issue,
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You mention "service cat"...there is no such thing. But there is a category of "support animal"...is this what she was referring to?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sure that is what she means..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much is this costing me, listed as 'free questions' are now at $59.00

This is not a free service. I (and other attorneys on here) work for compensation. That said, I am not an employee of this website...I am a user like you (so I have no control over marketing / billing)

I would urge you to contact customer service if you have billing questions...once you are satisfied with that, I can then provide you assistance