LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I filed a small claim in county, but then discovered the

Customer Question

I filed a small claim in clark county washington, but then discovered the defendant has recently moved back to Oregon. Not sure how to proceed
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed the small claims paperwork and submitted to the court.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: I then hired a process server which is when I discovered the defendant had recently moved from Washington state back to Oregon
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is the lawsuit for? Why are you suing?

Doug

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
rent and utilities owed after broken lease agreement
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Because the lawsuit related to real property that you rented to them, and it involves a contract which was made and took place in WA, even after they move out of WA you can still sue them in WA for Breach of Contract arising out of the rental.

You will simply need to have a process server in Oregon serve them with the lawsuit. Once they are served and the process server gets the proof of service back to the court, you will be ready for your trial date.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't rent the property to them, we were cosigners on the lease and my roommate moved out leaving me responsible for the rent
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

You can still sue in WA because there was a contract that they were obligated under there.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug