Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I did work for the USPS and now they don't want to pay me

Customer Question

I did work for the USPS and now they don't want to pay me for installing NBU mail units
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Y es I Submitted A written proposal on 03-14 -2017and I was assured by a postal tech. that the proposal was approved by higher management.and instructed me to start the work as soon as I could because the USPS had our congressman on their heals since the boxes were destroyed by vandals and people had to drive 25 miles to get ther mail at the post office this boxes were in a rural area. Work was commenced on 4-17-2017, and concluded on 4-21-2017. I was assured by the USPS technitian that I would be Paid by the local post office if the amount was less than $10,000.00 ( the amount submitted on a contractor's invoice was $8,450.00) When I went to the Santa fe post office to submit my invoice they told me that they couldn't pay me because somebody else in the postal service would pay me. Every time that I call someone they don't answer their phones I leave messages and no one returns my calls
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney who is admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. In your case, if they assured you that they were going to pay and they do not then they are breaching the agreement with you. This is the case where their contracts with oral or inviting.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?