LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Brother's full name printed in local newspaper after his

Customer Question

brother's full name printed in local newspaper after his arrest. is this legal
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: he was arrested and has a case with charges filed. his first court date is today I should also mention he has a serios mental illness and was delusional when crime occurred. we family members are horrified to see his name in the paper
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: california
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say but they can. This is something that could be deemed newsworthy and is public information. There is no privacy which someone is entitled to, unless they are a juvenile and the arrest can be published in the local paper, online or any other media outlet. It is public information and can be found by anyone who is looking for it. I do understand the shock from this but the media would have a right to publish the arrest

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks. ok so doesn't matter that y brother delusional and mentally ill- very defamatory to him and family

They would be reporting the arrest and the crime which he is charged with. Even though he suffered from mental illness, it would not prevent them from doing this, as they are not releasing his medical records or doing anything other then reporting the crime and arrest. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.