Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

A person I had relationship with 3 years ago is trying to

Customer Question

A person I had relationship with 3 years ago is trying to get money out of me by threatening to inform my wife and job.
I've tried helping her but she just keeps getting more and more demanding and I've had enough.
Can you help in this kind of situation??
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TX
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - I was going to contact a local attorney but happen to see your ad
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney who is admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a classic case of extortion which is illegal under Texas law.. Extortion occurs when an individual gains property or money by some type of force or threat of violence, property damage, harm to reputation or unfavorable government action. In this case, it appears as if this person is trying to extort money out of you unlawfully. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will this have any creadibility coming from me and not an anttorney?

Of course, Having an attorney will of course give it a little bit more credibility, but you may want to avoid having to pay an attorney because that may alert your wife and child to what's going on. Regardless, the idea is just to put the person on notice that they may be subject to liability if you get an attorney involved. Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No -- thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.