RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have a judgement from 2007 and a notice of garnishment am

Customer Question

I have a judgement from 2007 and a notice of garnishment am I still responsible for this old debt?
JA: What are the debts in question? What collection efforts have been made?
Customer: A gym membership
JA: What state are you in?
Customer: NY
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

Unfortunately, judgments last a long time in NY if not fully paid, so if this judgment hasn't been satisfied (paid off) it is still good and can still be collected.

Money judgments in New York are enforceable for a period of twenty years. That judgment can be enforced against any property you have that can be assigned or transferred (such as money, bank accounts and real property). The judgment also stays on your credit report for up to 10 years, which is three years longer than other debts. And don’t be fooled – although a judgment may come off your credit report after ten years, the judgment still exists and can be enforced within the twenty year time period.

Judgment-creditors can also file a lien against your property to enforce a judgment. A lien is a right to keep possession of property belonging to another person until a debt owed by that person is discharged (through payment or otherwise). A lien can be granted with the judgment initially and is also valid for 10 years. However, the creditor may then seek a renewal judgment on that lien for an additional ten years – for a total of twenty years.