Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Is a hand written letter as legally binding as a typewritten

Customer Question

Is a hand written letter as legally binding as a typewritten one if it is notorized?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i'm in NH. The letter will be going to Texas.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: such as ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm trying to terminate an agreement that they say can be ended by either side for any or no reason so long as it is in writing.
JA: Is there any reason to believe this to be retaliation? Or based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin?
Customer: Has nothing to do with any of the above.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

A notary does not make a document any more enforceable. It merely affirms the identity of the person signing it.

So, unless the contract specifically requires the notarization, you can send an plain letter of cancellation, signed by you and not notarized and it is a "written" notice, by legal definition.

Just make sure to use the method of transmission required in the contract, if any, for giving notices between the parties.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?