Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My 62 year old brother is living with me and is

Customer Question

My 62 year old brother is living with me and is disabled/alcoholic. I am 70 years old, live in my own home and still work three days a week in order to keep my home. Recently injured my back, am diabetic, and have multiple age related problems. Last night he fell out of bed twice so sleep is frequently interrupted.I fear for his safety and only get assurances from the multiple agencies that they will get a caregiver for him (Columbia MH, Melina, (too many to mention). I am without any assistance and don't think I can manage anymore. Please help.
JA: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?
Customer: No. Just lots of ambulances, Mental Health Facilities such as Columbia MH, Melina...., I spoke to Columbia MH and told them m back has recently been injured. My brother is not violent (no issues) but he also experienced a stroke and was in Salmon Creek Hospital.I just need someone to help when I am away at work.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Last time he lived with me I was his caregiver so at the time everything that needed to be filed was completed. This time he is trying to go through Melina and they said they said they would get a caregiver...,then nothing. They won't talk with me because of Hippa laws and I don't know what to do. He is suicidal and has made repeated attempts ending in hospitalization. If anything happens what can I do? I just need some help.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I just need some help. Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Have you contacted your local Medicaid/Medicare office to see if he would be eligible for some in home care provided by them?

.

Medicaid/Medicare can provide in home assistance services to disabled individuals and can assist with things like transporting for any treatments or doctor visits..

.

I would also suggest contacting your local Health Dept or Social Services to see if there are any local services that he might qualify for that could help you. The other local agencies you have talked to, you might need to actually go down to their offices and plant yourself there until someone spoke with you personally and helped with getting any applications filled out.. If you just called them, it is too easy for them to just ignore you after they get off the phone.

.

But from a purely legal perspective, you do not have any legal duty to provide care for him if he is an adult and has not been declared legally incompetent with you being named as his guardian.... and if some of his problems are alcohol related, you are free to set house rules on preventing that type of thing from happening if you don't want to be forced to deal with it. If he violated your rules, then you could evict him. .. Just so you know.

.

.

thanks

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/medicaid-waivers/home-care.html

.

Link to info about Medicaid home care.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much