WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

Do I have a legal right to get a receipt when landlord will

Customer Question

do I have a legal right to get a receipt when landlord will only accept cash
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: month to month
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. He is trying to avoid paying the taxes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need the reciept for my tax purposes
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 2 months ago.

yes, if the landlord only accepts cash, that is not legal, and if you go to court, a Judge would require the Landlord to accept any valid payment, the acceptance of cash only would also be potential fraud, as the landlord does not want to pay taxes on the income.

if he does not give you a receipt, you should still declare the rent, and advise the IRS you paid the landlord in cash, you would still be able to receive credit.

you can also send an email to the landlord stating that you paid rent in the amount, and if landlord agrees, that is a valid receipt.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive payment for the answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. That anserews a big question
Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. Please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive payment for the answers