Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am expecting the IRS to try and take my semi truck and

Customer Question
trailer, which I own outright...
I am expecting the IRS to try and take my semi truck and trailer, which I own outright. If I start an llc or form a gen. Partnership in Crestview, FL, will I be able to have in my possession, the titles to both, showing the llc or partnership.as the owners? Thanks! *****
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley
Legally, that is something that you can do. You can open up an LLC and put assets into the name of the LLC. However, that does not mean that the IRS may not still try to seize the vehicle. They can try to argue that the asset was moved to avoid it being seized. If you are going to do this, I would suggest that you do this right away and then it would be up to the IRS to figure out whether it was done to avoid their attempt to collect.
There are 2 letters they send . First one is a 90 day intent, to be second , a 30 day gonna do it... I've yet to get the first letter...my original question was , in the state of FL, will I be able to have and hold both titles that show the name of the Llc as the owner?
Since you have not received either letter yet, then you can transfer those items into an LLC that you have created. You can be the sole member of that LLC. That can potentially give you an additional layer of protection. Since the IRS has not sent anything yet, then I would do that ASAP since you can argue that you are not doing it to avoid the IRS. However, you really need to do that quickly
Sorry,
Maybe I am not being clear enough... "my original question was , in the state of FL, will I be able to have and hold both titles that show the name of the Llc as the owner?". How do I go about doing that? Thank you.
Have you set up LLC yet?
No, not until I finish my research. Then I'll proceed.

You need to open your LLC.

You can absolutely set up an LLC and transfer both of those items into the name of the LLC. That will give you a level of protection against and IRS intercept. However, you need to do it before you receive any from the IRS

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer