My ex was leasing my car from me, while i was attending

Customer Question
My ex was leasing...

My ex was leasing my car from me, while i was attending school out of town. Now that I am back, he is refusing to let me have my car and/or share it. He was paying me $250 per month to lease the car and paid me $80 for his car insurance. I have the title of the car and the car is registered in LA, but with my address in Philadelphia. I spoke to a police officer and he told me that there is nothing the police could do since it is a civil matter. I want to cancel his insurance, because I no longer want to pay for it especially if I do not have access to the car. Could I report the car stolen? Could I cancel his insurance? What happens if he wrecks the car or does something to it and my name is ***** ***** title. I will be held responsible won't I? I know I will probably have to take him to court, but I want to be able to protect myself in the process.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car is a 2009 BMW 128i convertible and this is in Los Angeles, CA. I moved to Philadelphia to work on my doctorate at Univ. of Pennsylvania, but would be in LA every month for a few days. We had been sharing the car in LA from October 2016 until this past week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I went to the police station to see what could be done. The police office said he could not do anything because the car is not stolen. I was wondering if I could report or file something that would make me not liable for anything he does with the car. For example get parking tickets, etc.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
7/27/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Bill Attorney

This is attorney Bill offering assistance.

You can file a civil complaint in Californian for conversion of your property requesting damages where your ex is residing for the return of the car and motion the court for a preliminary injunction returning the car into your possession pending the full hearing of your complaint for conversion of your property.

The law on preliminary injunctions is the following:

"

527.

(a) A preliminary injunction may be granted at any time before judgment upon a verified complaint, or upon affidavits if the complaint in the one case, or the affidavits in the other, show satisfactorily that sufficient grounds exist therefor. No preliminary injunction shall be granted without notice to the opposing party."

In relation to the criminal end of things. You need to write a letter to your ex requesting return of the property.

Where he has knowledge of your request and fails to return the property this amounts to criminal conversion of property.

Really the matter is pursued through civil court as there was a contract for lease between the two of you.

You will recover damages for unpaid lease installments and repossession.

You file in the Superior Ct where your ex is living.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me when needed.

In return: Remember to rate positively

You do this by clicking 5*, 4 * or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Dear Customer,

This is attorney Bill following up with you on your question.

If you need more assistance please let me know.

Just a reminder that by leaving a positive rating I get a credit for my previous response and time.

SO please take a moment to rate.

You do this by clicking 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before exiting.

Thanks

Attorney Bill