How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5185
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rent from housing authority and they want me to move cause

Customer Question

I rent from housing authority and they want me to move cause I didn't down size last oct I starting to down size I fell and got hurt I want a two bedroom because I have mental problems and I don't sleep with my husband they want to give me a one bedroom lm disabled and so is my husband I'm 60yrs old I don't have money to move I'm on disability and my husband is on Social Security we don't get that much if they wanted to they could let me stay here their letting my neighor stay they say we're over housed and so is my neighbor
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Denver Colo
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just a paper that I have a hearing on augast 15/2017 at housing authority office
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that's enough
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What questions do you have for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to move but they say they are going to make us move I want to know if if I can get a two bedroom because I'm seeing a shrink and theist and they sent papers to help me out
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One of the reasons why you can avoid being moved out he is under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The ADA says that individuals that are dealing with a mental or physical disability cannot be discriminated against for any reason. Therefore, if you are being forced to move out of your place despite your illness, then it is possible that they are discriminating against you because of your disability. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter That they comply with the ADA and allow you to stay as a reasonable accommodation for your housing because of your disability. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.