Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was chatting with you earlier about my dad passing away

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I was chatting with you earlier about my dad passing away and his exgirlfriend trying to get money from me for stuff he owed her for before his passing. I would like to further our conversation.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have an open probate case and supposedly the girlfriend does also.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: His assets are a 1979 trailer which is rundown and not livable. A broke down work van and tools from his painting profession. And a 1998 old BMW car that he was driving. The trailer and van have been sitting for years while he stayed on and off with the girlfriend. The girlfriend paid for a lot of stuff for him when he sick but there was only signed promissory notes between him and the girlfriend. Now the girlfriend is coming after me for $11,300 that she thinks I should pay her out of what I got from his life insurance policy which I was the beneficiary. Does she have a right to be after me?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

My condolences for your loss.

She is seeking money for the satisfaction of the promissory notes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not really sure exactly what all
She is including in that amount. Various things she thinks she is owed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She sent me this notorized letter