Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a Boat that was contracted with a transportation

Customer Question
Greetings. I have a...
Greetings. I have a Boat that was contracted with a transportation company to move my boat from Wilmington, NC to Phoenix, AZ A contractual was signed for a set amount/price. After picking up specified boat, the transportation company stated that they want an additional $3,500 to deliver boat. I requested boat to be returned to original contractual pick up place. now, the boat and transportation company is not returning calls/texts, via email. Question--- What are my options?? Can I give them a specified amount of days to return boat for reasonable fee, then, report my boat as stolen???
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?
Customer: I live in Arizona--the boat and transportation company is in North Carolina. It is a 2010 SeaRay370 Sundancer valued at $178,000
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: That is my question. Do I retain a lawyer to send a demand letter stipulating boat to be returned to original marina, or, do I wait until specified amount of days and report it as stolen???
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it. Apparently, this is a common ploy of transport companies--they bid low to get your business, then, create something to add significant/additional charges
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
7/26/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 4 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

At this point you are going to need an attorney. If you attempt to report your boat stolen, the moment the police found out there is a contract to transport the boat involve they are going to tell you it is a civil matter. Once they do that then your only choice is to sue them and attempt to regain your boat.

By getting the lawyer involved now the lawyer can send a letter with the proper language and contact the police at the same time so the police will understand the true situation. Unfortunately the police are much more likely to pursue the matter if an attorney is involved from the beginning. Once they make the determination it is a civil matter they will not change their minds. So the trick is to get them to not make that determination initially.

The attorney can also site statutes as to fraud, extortion, and other potential causes of action both federal and state and present the information to the police in such a manner that they will have to do minimal investigation.

Finally, the reality is that it is much more likely the transport company will respond in a favorable manner to a letter coming from an attorney than one coming from an individual. So taking this route should save both time and money as well as increase your chances of success.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

What type of lawyer?????

Look for one that does civil litigation. They will be aware of enough of criminal law to over that area too.

You can find a lawyer at www.Lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Civil Litigation".

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney