LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I received a Credit Card Authorization Form from a moving

Customer Question

I received a Credit Card Authorization Form from a moving company--I want to make a partial payment to get the movers to move the items I contracted to move---on the authorization form, there is the following statement: MUST INITIAL BELOW:(Initials) I will not dispute this charge under any circumstance.
JA: What's the contract for? Who are the parties?
Customer: Moving my daugter's belongings from Manhattan, KS to Wayne, PA. Myself and my daughter and the moving company who sub-contracted to a second moving company (the subcontractor is asking for payment authorization)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They added additional fees onto the contract for the move--I dispute those additional charges, I am willing to sign the statement if they allow me to dispute the charges. My question is am I signing away my rights by signing the "non dispute clause?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

You are not necessarily signing your rights away but what it would indicate, is that if there was an issue, you would not dispute this with the credit card company. If you did, they would them turn this agreement over to them and try and see if it would be a basis for the credit card company to deny your charge back , dispute. However, it would still afford you the basis to sue for breach of contract, if they fail to perform but this is likely a way for you to chase them for the money instead of them having to come after you for payment. Now, if the credit card company will honor this 3rd party agreement is a different story, since they are not part of it, so they could rule in your favor and then the moving company would sue you for breaching the agreement. Personally, it is not in your favor to sign this part, since they are basically saying they will charge you WHATEVER the final charge is and you agree to pay it, since you are signing the authorization.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!