Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a document regarding a default settlement for

Customer Question

i received a document regarding a default settlement for $2,000 from Citibank concerning a old credit card balance. what should I do?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: georgia, its from 2014
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: its been filed with county court and i have 30 days to respond. I received notice from sheriff last week
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they have obtained a default judgment against you, then your options are limited. First, you can engage a local attorney to file to vacate/set aside the judgment if you never received notice of the original suit and if you dispute the amount due. Second, you can contact the attorney handling the suit whose name appears on the court documents and seek to negotiate a settlement and pay off the debt. If you do not respond, then they can seek garnishment or levy of your bank accounts to pay the debt, so you need to pursue one of those options available to you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this was the first time i was made aware of this issue, which actually dates back beyond 2014. should i have been notified prior to this court notice?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i rather to continue the chat

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you should have been served notice of the original suit and a summons to appear. If you never received that notice, it is grounds to get their default judgment vacated and you would need a local attorney to file in court to vacate their judgment based on their failure to serve you proper notice as required and then you can fight them in court over the debt or try to work out a better settlement agreement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i think what i may have received was the notice and summons to appear
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a r u still there?

Please upload the document so we can see what you are talking about to make sure.

We are here, but our responses can be a bit delayed as we are working with multiple customers at one time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do i upload doc?

There is a upload button at the top of your reply on your page and you can upload a link or a document there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was just charged $42 that i did not agree to???????

I apologize, the experts are not site employees we have no idea what the site charges customers, so please contact customer service about any charges for explanations as we have no idea what they do or how to explain that to you.

If you can upload the document or a link to the document we are happy to answer the remaining questions regarding that document.