Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My employer requires that I come to the office at a specific

Customer Question

My employer requires that I come to the office at a specific time to prep for the work day and after that I have to travel as a passenger in a work vehicle to the site I will be working at for the day. This is a new job and I just found out I am not being paid for any of the prep and travel time prior to showing up on site. I am only getting paid for the time I'm on site working. I live and work in California. Is it legal for them not to pay me for the time between when they require me to show up at the office to the time we show up on site?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

No, it is not legal. If you are required to show up at a particular time, you must be paid for those hours. If you are not being paid, you can file for wage claim with California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,