Van
Van, Retired Judge
Experience:  Criminal Court Judge
99502111

My brother is in prison for child molestation. He has been

Customer Question

Hey my Name is ***** ***** brother Gregory is in prison for child molestation. He has been in prison four years .He got his TPM date for 10/ 2019 I am trying to get a early release date is that some i can do
JA: Have charges been filed? What's the status of that case?
Customer: yes he in central State prison in Macon GA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes Gregory has been in jail an prison since March 18 2013. He has had very good behave. I am his sister and I need him out to help me with our Disabled 72 year old mother and brother. our mother is legally blind in both eyes and brother has schizophrenia and blind in both eyes.. Our father was a great help taking care of them passed away this year 02/09/2017. So now i have know one else me. my brother Gregory can be a great help to me. (###) ###-####
Expert:  Van replied 3 months ago.

Hi, after taking a look at the parole laws in Georgia which state:

A decision to grant any type of clemency requires an affirmative vote by a majority of the members of the Parole Board. Excluding life sentences, at the time of consideration, the Board will establish a Tentative Parole Month (TPM) in the future or will deny parole entirely. The Board may reconsider and change a prior decision in a case, for any reason, at any time, up to the date of release. Georgia inmates (who are eligible for parole) have a right to be considered for parole, but they do not have a right or "liberty interest" which requires release on parole.

A TPM is not a final release decision. At the TPM, the Board will complete a final review of the offender’s case file and determine whether to set a parole release date.

After reading the law for parole it does not appear that you have a real chance at getting your brother released earlier than the 10/2019 date. I would suggest attending the parole hearing for your brother so that you can present this information in an attempt to help the parole board rule in his favor; however, I don't see anything in Georgia law that will allow you to petition for an earlier release. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I wish you the best while you continue to take care of your loved ones.

Expert:  Van replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up to see if you were satisfied with my response. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. If you would like to speak on the telephone about this matter feel free to accept my offer for a premium service. If you were satisfied with my response, please rate my service. Have a great day.