Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I just hit and destroyed a parking garage boom then drove

Customer Question

I just hit and destroyed a parking garage boom then drove off. I kept hitting the the button and no one came. I felt trapped and took off!
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: It just happened.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. What specific questions did you have for me today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was in a parking garage and I forgot my wallet at home. When leaving I tried to press the help button several times with Anwser I felt trapped after several minutes I followed another car out and the boom cake down and it was then distroyed. What if any in Texas can I be charged with?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No anwser* and no one around

I understand what you mean. It is possible that you may be charged with destruction of property under Texas Penal Code § 28.04. This is usually a misdemeanor. However, you may have some defenses. If you add the defense of duress, meaning that you had no choice but to go through the thing at all. This may help if you are ever charged with anything. You could also bring a civil suit for negligence against the garage for failing to have someone on duty and it caused you to damage your vehicle as a result.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What if anything normally comes of something like this? Is there steps I can take to prevent getting a charge

Good question. What I would do is just try to lay low in the meantime. Do things like park your car in your garage if you can and avoid that parking garage if it is possible for you to do so. I would also look at your state bar's lawyer referral service and consider hiring a criminal defense attorney just in case. With some luck, their insurance will just cover the damage and they won't bother referring it to the district attorney.