Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I work at Walmart on a work visa I stepped out of the store

Customer Question

I work at Walmart on a work visa I stepped out of the store not paying for chicken wings not realizing the camera caught me I paid for the wings but am I going to lose my Visa and or they gonna press charges?
JA: Has the business pressed charges? What was the value of the items?
Customer: They didn't press charges just asked me if I'd like to pay and I paid they fired me also but I'm worried. They ask me to give a written statement and sign to it along with my address and phone number
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is that you will probably not lose your visa status. Generally, to lose your visa status, the crimes have to be of such a nature that you would be a risk to national security or have "poor moral character." In your case, shoplifting from Walmart is hardly going to be an issue, particularly if you were not arrested or charged. Accordingly, although Walmart has your information, it is probable it is just to ensure that if you attempt to steal sometime in the future, they have your information on file.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?