How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought my car with bill of sale and title in colorado. i

Customer Question

i bought my car with bill of sale and title in colorado. i am from california, where you don't need to register until the previous registration is up. so i did not since the tags were stlll goof for a while. just before the tags were up, i had a roommate pull a gun on me. i had to have a cop escourt me in to gram all my most valuable posessions, including my bill of sale and title, and put it all in my car. from there, that night, my car was broken into. eyerthing was stolen i contacted the owner i bought the car from and she said she would go in and realse the car to me. and never did. i can not find or get ahold of her now. she is from out of state. my car was impounded and i am still trying to get it back and everything else ive been try9ing to get in order after loosing everything. i don't know where to start. or how to handle any of this. also the sheriff said my right to drive is revoked in Colorado. would not tell me why, when i asked.
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: in a few weeks
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no tags. he said verbally my car is stole. i asked if there was a repot. he said no. then i asked if i am being arested. he said no then he marked the impound paperwork as me being arrested
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. he kept harrassking me about a local out pot farm, and where it was. i told him i had no idea what he was talking about. i was working a corn farm weeding. and pulling stray corn stalks. i told him it was about i5 min away and i could show him. i told them i have ptds from the indecent with my roommate. I was very hot, and tired i had been working since 6 in the morning and it was 6 pm. i was having a panic attack and how i wa supposed ot get home. i wear a fitbit hr. so i was able to inform them my heart rate was a 128 bpms.. if it got worse i would need immediate medical attaention. a different office offered to take call an ambulance. i tild them i dint have that kind money. the other officer said i should have chosen better frienf. of they hadnt run, i woulf have my car to deal with things. which they didnt. the stayed in the car until the first steriff already said he was taking my car. then they even asked to get out. i had pulled into and fully stopped my car before he turned on his lights to pull me over. i was in a gas station to get gas and to go to the bathroom. to get water and some food after a long day. i didnr even see him until i was already parked.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even under CA law you have to file even in CA to transfer title and registration within 30 days of purchase of the vehicle, even if you do not actually pay to renew the tags, they have to be transferred. In CO, same thing, you were supposed to transfer them to you.
If you lost all the documents, it is not the seller's fault and if the seller does not want to help you regarding obtaining new title, then you have to file a civil suit in court to "quiet title" and serve the seller and if the seller does not appear the court will order title be transferred to your name.
So, your recourse now is to file suit in court to quiet title to get the court to issue an order of ownership and then you can get title and you can get the vehicle properly registered in your name.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.