How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27760
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 17yr old daughter that just received a possession

Customer Question

I have a 17yr old daughter that just received a possession of marijuana and marijuana paraphenelia tickets because I let them search her car in order to let me take her and the car. The police told me I had to or they wouldn't let me have her or the car. I assume I need counsel?
JA: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?
Customer: there was an active investigation at the time.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: missouri
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She and her boyfriend was "hanging" with friends when she got sick and possibly had a seizure or fainted, not sure, but the boyfriend called 911 and paramedics smelled marijuana and contacted law enforcement
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

What is your question about this incident?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Marijuana has been somewhat decriminalized in Missouri. If this is your daughter's first arrest, there is no possibility of jail because the statute doesn't allow for it. She could plead guilty, pay a fine in court and be done with it.

BUT, if she does that, she will have a drug conviction on her criminal history. That can hamper her both personally and professionally. For that reason, it would be beneficial for you to see to it that she has a lawyer for her court date. The lawyer may be able to get the charges dismissed, depending upon the facts and circumstances, or he could negotiate with the prosecutor for a disposition that keeps the conviction off of her record. Or, if the case is a strong one for the defense, it might be something that should be fought, perhaps all the way to trial.

I do not know what your question is because you just provided a fact pattern, but didn't say what you wanted to know. So if my response didn't touch upon what you wanted to learn, please tell me. I'll be happy to expand my answer.