How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1627
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse has up and left soon after she had her permanent

Customer Question

My spouse has up and left soon after she had her permanent green card. That was Feb 2016. I need to move on with my life but with no return of email and phone dodging, I'm told this is not qualifies as uncontested divorce. Unless I can locate her and sign the paperwork, my best shot is divorce by publication. Is that true?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nyc, nys. No kids. Disabled army vet living on SSD and va $.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, and desperate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what can be helpful, so the short version is no.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert who will assist you today. How long have you lived in NYS?