Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I work at a small christian college. We are struggling to

Customer Question
stay open. Our dorms are...
I work at a small christian college. We are struggling to stay open. Our dorms are crowded. We have a student who enrolled. She is 504. after we enrolled and worked through accommodations she sent an email stating she has a prescription for a cat. We cannot put her in a room by herself and other students do not want to room with a cat. This situation would put a burden on our struggling school. Are we breaking the law if we do not let this student bring her cat.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: she has 504 records from school and no mention of a cat Which is not an academic issue. She has not filed any special education paperwork.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
7/25/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I have practiced education law in the past and at work for higher education institutions for the better part of ten years. Therefore, I will be able to answer your question. Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 says that any organization receiving federal funds is required to make reasonable accommodations to those students with a disability. The state of Texas does not have any laws that authorize anything other than a dog to be considered a support animal or service animal for a person with a disability. Therefore, I would argue strongly in favor of your case that not allowing the cat would not be a violation of Section 504. Usually, what is considered a reasonable accommodation or things related to their education, such as extended time on assignments, or some sort of technological support like a speech-to-text software or some sort of screen enhancement or letter enlargement software. Having a cat in the dorms, where there can be a serious risk to some people's health, would likely not put you in violation of Section 504.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer