How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118798
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an injury case were I was hit in the back in my car by

Customer Question

I had an injury case were I was hit in the back in my car by a police officer in 2012. My attorney for 4 years never inform me of my case situation. When I called today they told me it was thrown out in January without my knowledge. How do I pursue due poor consult.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The case went into litigation and from that point 3 years now I heard nothing until today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the officer wrote and signed his own report.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your lawyer did not properly represent you or properly handle your case and did not inform you so that you could appeal, then you can have a case for malpractice against him and seek damages. Of course, this means you need an attorney that specializes in legal malpractice plaintiff cases and you would have to have him review the case files and then determine if your claims had merit and what your attorney failed to do that caused you a loss. Once that is done, if it is determined the lawyer was at fault in losing the case, then you would file suit for damages against the attorney for improper handling your claim and failure to notify you of the judgment so you could pursue an appeal.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.