Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Experience:  dasdasd
23431962

I just found out i owe child support, I'm a female, the

Customer Question

i just found out i owe child support, I'm a female, the father retained custody. I had no contact with the child for 27 years, she is 31. Do i have to pay or is the statute of limitations up in louisiana
JA: Has a court order been entered regarding any unpaid child support? When was the last payment made?
Customer: the last payment was in 1995 when they took my taxes. the court order i found out was issued in 1989
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Under Louisiana law, the statute of limitations for child support enforcement is 10 years after the last obligation was due. So you need to figure out when the last date was that you were supposed to pay (usually up to the child's 18th birthday, but it varies depending on circumstances). Then add 10 years to that. That is the date you are no longer obligated to pay child support arrears.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!