Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My husband was awarded an amount of money in 1987 for being

Customer Question

My husband was awarded an amount of money in 1987 for being electrocuted and the attorney said that he put it in an annuity with Met Life. I have letters from Met Life saying I was made beneficiary and court papers where my husband's name and mine appear. When we received our first check (the Judge was going to charge me with contempt of court and throw me in jail because I didn't want the money put in an annuity but my husband wasn't well and he was tired of them arguing and said let them do what they want.) My husband still believed that I would get his settlement when he died. Just found out that I get nothing. Can I sue the attorneys who put me in this situation? Workmen's Comp received 1/3 of our settlement from Sierra Pacific also. I had to take care of a 87% disabled husband for 30 years the last 3 years was 24/7 and the last year was really bad for him. Do I have any recourse from Medicare for being his nurse and caregiver all these years. Just wondering if I have any recourse against any of the people/insurance companies involved that left me in this situation. Janice Johnson
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, they all received a copy of his death certificate and notified
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if there's any recourse for me against what they did to us?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We paid $431 a month for Medicare and was indebt constantly because of the 20%. Renown Hospital refused his admittance for surgery to go on dialysis 3 years ago because we didn't have supplemental insurance which we couldn't get because he wasn't 65 years old. He was only 62 years old when he died. We just hoped he'd live long enough but he had a heart attack and because his kidneys were so bad they could operate on his heart for a bypass and they couldn't put him on dialysis because of his heart. They sent him home to die.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they couldn't operate. typo error
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What does the annuity contract agreement state, because that is what governs this situation?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Metropolitan Life Annuity Cert. 30526

What does the contract state, does it actually name you as beneficiary?