How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33926
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 17 yr old (18 on Oct 10) refuses to comply with ANY rule

Customer Question

Our 17 yr old (18 on Oct 10) refuses to comply with ANY rule or boundary we set. He has been gone for most of the last week partying. He is currently facing a his second charge of assault (incident occurred on July 8). He plead guilt to a domestic violence assault charge 22 months ago (drug use related). He is still using drugs. He has committed multiple acts of vandalism and has stolen in the past.He has cost us a considerable sum. He declares that he will, "turn 18 soon" and that "he can take care of himself". As such, he does not see the need of doing anything we say. Yet we are held liable for many of his actions. Is there anyway we can legally separate ourselves from liability of his illiberal behavior for the next 78 days (when he turns 18). Thank you.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I broke my right arm a couple of weeks ago so some of my answers may be shorter than normal, but still complete, and there may be typos or other small issues. I have to spend less time than normal on the computer and it also takes me a little longer to hunt-and-peck using just my left hand so please bear with me. I am trying alternates to typing, such as a voice recognition system, but it has a steep learning curve.

Please be patient because at any point it may take a while to do research or type my answer/response. In addition I have to leave for physical therapy soon but will be back this afternoon.

You could file with the court to "emancipate" him but realistically it would be very hard to get that done and get a hearing within the next 78 days.

What you may want to do instead is go and hire a local lawyer to visit with the authorities on your behalf and see if they can jail him pending his second charge or possibly even get him committed to a drug rehab facility. Then, when he turns 18, you can evict him and ask the court to issue a protective order where he isn't allowed to come around you.

The cost to have a local lawyer speak with the authorities would be minimal although if he has to formally file for commitment or file the eviction there would be charges for all of that work.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I will be back online tomorrow so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.