Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My disabled wife has been receiving Medicaid assistance for

Customer Question
approximately 14 months. I am...
My disabled wife has been receiving Medicaid assistance for approximately 14 months. I am now in the process of filling out medicaids current forms for further assistance. Meanwhile, in this past year I have been able to put about $17,000 into our savings which wasn't there before. I am concerned how this will affect Medicaid's assessment when I submit this info to them.
JA: Does the disability limit any major life activities?
Customer: Yes, She is confined to a wheelchair and requires help with all functions. She had a brain aneurysm which affects both mental and physical functions
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. I have filled out their paperwork but am holding on to it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If we will be penalized, I am looking for any and all options if available.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
7/24/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you.

I would slowly take out $120 or so a week for "groceries" and put it in a safety box off the grid.Medicaid looks for large transactions, so small irregular cash withdrawals weekly.Having cash like this in a visible bank account is not a good idea at all for medicaid.Start slowly taking it out for cash and put cash in safety box off the grid so to speak.And yes this can affect her medicaid.You want to look visibly poor here, the safety box is off grid no ones know about it or whats in it no W-2s or 1099s ,you aren't getting any interest anyway.This is called poor mans estate planning.You want your bank balance around $1k no more.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

What about the large amount in there now which will show up when Medicaid receives current forms?

They will look at it for eligibility , they do this every month not much you can do about it quickly here.You hope she is under the limits remember you get higher exclusion since you are m arried.But overall it is a good idea to start stashing it elsewhere off the grid.

this large amount in savings might take away her eligibility and cause us to look elsewhere for her health coverage?
Also, can they track when I pull large amount out of savings? For instance, if I remove several thousand dollars, they will know and disapprove?

Yes they can track large withdrawals, they ask for bank statements.If you are denied you would have to enroll in Obamacare in your state.Hope for the best here start small withdrawals best you can do I am afraid.

Thanks again and thanks or rating 5 stars.

Thank you

You are so welcome and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

I have read on some websites that as the husband of a disabled wife, I am called the 'community spouse' and am allowed to possess savings in excess of what is considered the maximum for her alone. Since our joint savings account is indeed above the amount she is allowed to have, is it allowed since it is shared by myself? If I am correct in interpreting that a community spouse is allowed additional income or savings, do you know what $$ amount I can have?

What state are you in , it varies..

We are in Tennessee

A Medicaid recipient's spouse who is at home may keep enough income from the Medicaid recipient to bring the at home spouse's income up to approximately $1,561.25 per month. (This figure is adjusted each year in July.)

An additional amount is allowed if shelter costs (such as rent, mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities, or maintenance fee for a condominium) exceed approximately $468.60. The total allocation to the community spouse generally may not be more than about $2,377.50.

The community spouse may keep all income directed solely to him or her.

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/medicaid-and-medicare-nursing-home-basics-3026

Tomorrow I am using $4000 of savings to replace defective heat pump at the house. Though this makes sense to me since it is living expense, will we be penalized by Medicaid for downgrading our savings so quickly, which might look suspicious to them?

No because her homestead is exempted and she can pay her share here.Not a problem.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer