How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30385
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has joint custody of his 2 teenagers. However I

Customer Question

My husband has joint custody of his 2 teenagers. However I no longer feel comfortable with them (alone) meaning being around them the stepkids, While he's at work. And I don't want them in my house when I'm not home because they have lost all my trust, That they will do the right thing. He feels that I the (wife) is obligated to watch /babysit his kids because he has to work. What can I do about this legally.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Fl
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: As far as?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, his teenage child told our other child. that "the reason her sibling treat me the way that they do is because he don't want to do something to me. This is a threat? Right?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your husband doesn't have any legal right to make you watch his children when he's at work. With that said, your options are unfortunately very limited since you don't want to leave them alone in the house. You can hire a babysitter. Since the father has shared custody, I'm afraid you can't make him leave without his consent.

Other options here include talking to your husband about your concerns, seeing if he will agree to family therapy or couples counseling to help him understand your point of view, or going to therapy on your own to discuss more effective ways to talk to him. The other option is to move out and/or file for divorce.

A threat has to be a specific statement of intent to physically harm someone or their family. Saying they don't want to do something to you, without more context, is not a threat. If they make specific threats, you can call the police.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I have to make sure they have everything they need when left alone. Because I'm not going to hire a babysitter I would be scared of the way they will treat the babysitter. And plus they aren't mature enough to be left anywhere alone. Well one is the other is not.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

You run the risk that they might call child services if you left believing they are incapable of caring for themselves without making provisions for their safety. Here are some tips from the state on leaving kids alone:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have been helpful however I thought justanswer itself work different I guest.. so after reading up on how this work I'm still feeling I need more help because I have more personal issues questions that I need answered so sorry.. But thanks for your fast response..
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm happy to answer whatever questions you have about how the law pertains to this situation.