Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I need help with getting mine and my brothers inheritance

Customer Question

I need help with getting mine and my brothers inheritance money from my sister who we made executor
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in California, we are in the very last stage. We are waiting for our money from the house. The house was sold on may 16th and the Deed was transferred on same day
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: With the courts
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes my dad had life insurance,IRA, 401 K , pensions, and other accounts, that my sister took advantage of my mother with drmemtia
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed CA attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It appears as if the executor of the estate is not acting pursuant to their fiduciary duties. And executor has a fiduciary (financial) duty to act An approved of manner. This means distributing the proceeds of a home sale as soon as possible. If it has been over 2 months after the house was sold in the deed was transferred in there is little reason why the proceeds have not been distributed at this point. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to have the executor distribute the proceeds immediately. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?