Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Second opinion] Landlord (Twin Peak Properties, LTD) sent

Customer Question

Second opinion] Landlord (Twin Peak Properties, LTD) sent check for $284 ($600 deposit) with handwritten note listing $25.50 Utility chg (less than 30 day notice), $165.50 for carpet cleaning, and $125.00 cleaning fee. I questioned deductions (copying both partners). Heard nothing. Kept check and sent followup to principal (James Connelly) questioning legality of deductions.JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?Customer: ohioJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: with a court of law? noJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: leased apt in mid-may 2016. paid security deposit and $300 rent. signed 1-year lease June 2016. Notified in april was not going to renew for year but indicated desire to stay beyond May 31 possibly as long as June 30. In May sent notice i was seeking final utility readings along with $150 rent for first week. Being unable to get final reading the first friday in June sent another check (for $50). Both were cashed June 6 - crediting account named (Twin Peaks)
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 2 months ago.
what can I answer for you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now totally confused. said got 2nd opinion and found only question what can i answer for you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As stated, hearing challenged.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
understand that need to file in small claims for return of security deposit monies. have not seen opinion of landlord cashing rent checks and more than a month later state in text that "waiting for unpaid rent and late fees."
If landlord is not cashing rent you should see that on your bank statements. Deposit needs to be returned. Small Claims court can help sort it out and secure a release. Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The checks were cashed and cleared my account. Now he is claiming "unpaid rent and late fees." Thanks

Is he owed anything though at this point?