Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Son got jumped by 15 boys from Vegas on suu campus kids

Customer Question

son got jumped by 15 boys from Vegas on suu campus kids called him wanting marajuanna son did not know the boys but met with them. they beat him up and son was able to get away campus security caught group of boys and another campus security found son. son told everything that happened and he was told he would not get charged for tell i g the truth now they want him to mark off 3 people for $100 each which puts him in danger plus promoting crime. when they told him he would get no charges.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no I don't think so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post.

What do you mean by "mark off 3 people for $100 each . . . plus promoting crime?" Have they charged him? Have they arrested any of his attackers?

What is your question about this incident?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they want him to nark 3 people off and pay him $100 for each. which is promoting crime. after they told him he wouldn't get charged for anything if he cooperated with them. and I don't think the Vegas kids got charged with anything
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. You said "MARK 3 people off," in your question.

Please give me a few minutes to type up a reply to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't realize spelling check corrected me sorry. they want him to be a informant
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

You need to get a lawyer involved here.

Police are allowed to lie and use deceptive techniques in order to get to the bottom of criminal activity. When they know someone is involved with drugs, the ALWAYS try to make him a confidential informant.

He does not have to do that just because the police want him to. It puts him and his family at risk. If he doesn't do it, he may indeed be arrested which is why you should find him a local lawyer. He came forward as the victim of a crime here, and that should be addressed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is a juvenile as well as the 15 boys who jumped him and stole his longboard
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. It doesn't change the answer. He may be charged if he doesn't cooperate, but if he's a juvenile with no prior contact with the law, that piece should come out okay. However, as a crime victim, he really should talk to a prosecutor about the incident and this time he ought to do it with a lawyer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he was told he wouldn't get charged if he told the truth he was one boy they was a gang he got slammed into a pole causing a very large bump on the back of his head and punched in the face causing a black eye and slammed on cement injuring his hip and several kicks to the body by those animals and their coaches was no where in sight. they wasn't suppose to play football the next day but my husband drove by the collage and they was playing
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I understand what he was told. The police can lie. There is US Supreme Court caselaw that says it okay for the police to be deceptive and misleading when they want to investigate a crime.

Your son may have a suit as well. You need to look for a lawyer for him in general practice with experience with both criminal and civil trials.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it don't make sence that we pay our officers to protect us we teach our children to tell the truth to our officers yet our officers will lie and put our children in danger plus let 15 out of town vegas animal criminals go after ganging up on one local boy. what a disgrace our officers are to society. they are suppose to serve and protect. not lie and promote crime. this makes me sick. a local 17 year old boy gets jumped by 15 black boys from vegas and take his longboard and hat and marajuana the boy is barley able to escape and the local boy gets charged over 1/8 of herbs. that wasn't even his. so how honest should locals be with the police when something goes on and they want to know well maybe we should not be so eager to say what we know. what a shame
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I fully agree. We are raised to respect law enforcement and to think of police as our friends and protectors. They can, however, fall very short of the mark.

I hope your son is able to get some justice.