How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19640
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about building permits and zoneing changes

Customer Question

I have a question about building permits and zoneing changes in Greenville Texas.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I bought a duplex in 2012 and about a year ago I bought and rented out a building to a tenant (without a permit) and also added on an enlargement to NY house. They now tell me after 800.00 fines and 6 requests for a permit that NY house is zoned as a single family dwelling but is a multi family house that has been grandfathered in with a stipulation saying no enlargements allowed can you help
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: They say it could come down to the city removing my addition is this legal
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

What does a house in New York have to do with zoning changes in Greenville, Texas?

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry I misstyped it was not NY it should of been my , it was a mistake
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the clarification.

Your only chance of retaining the addition would be to file for a variance with the zoning board and see if the zoning board would approve it.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you could you tell me what that is?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

A variance is what you file to ask the zoning board to grant you a waiver--to exempt you from the current requirements of not allowing "enlargement."