Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My father died and but the restaurant he owned was in a

Customer Question

My father died and but the restaurant he owned was in a contract for amusement and music machines coin operated or non coin. It was signed by him in november 2016 for 2 years additionally he signed a promissory note for 10K of which was to be paid back through the revenue from the machines. He passed in April, the loan was paid off in May or June. Is there any recourse in regards ***** ***** location or corp that my dad owned regardless what was in the contract due to heirs and continuity of the business?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, MN. This company is affiliated with Minnesota Owners of Music and Amusement.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Regarding?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want them out. The have in place 4 pool tables, 2 dart boards, a small shuffle board machine, golf, buck hunter, table top game, and a jukebox.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Unfortunately, the contract would not terminate upon father's passing and the estate would then become liable for fulfilling the terms of it. Even if the estate sold the property, the new owner would take it subject to the remainder of the terms of the contract that he entered into.

.

So the only way to get them out would be for the executor to try to negotiate a buy out of the remainder of the contract so they would agree to vacate.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much