socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I'm new residence in Geneva NYwith drivers license in NY

Customer Question

Hi, I'm new residence in Geneva NYwith drivers license in NY over 7 months. I'm artistic female muscian-flutist and rosarian. I'd like change last name TO Rose ( me and my teens created the artistic last name to , "Rose." I'd like to legally change. My last name is ***** ***** Oregon state divorse 7 years ago. I don't have anything in divorse decree saying I can change or prohibit changing my last name. What forms do I file in what court and docs do I bring to drop Keplinger as my last name and obtain the new name Rose. I have no liens, judgments...either. I read a form maybe I am suppose to file the petition for new name form?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: But Im hoping not to waste time amending divorse order to allow me change last name.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am new residence of New York, filing here. But I moved from and was divorced in Oregon.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 months ago.

The NY Courts website provides a thorough discussion of the name change procedure, with forms. Click here.

If you need assistance in understanding a specific issue, please let me know and I will be happy to provide further assistance.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's complicated. I already read that cite before I contacted you.I don't know if I should get divorse order amended to say I can change name and or just do new petition for name change and what docs to bring?

You can't amend a final divorce judgment -- because it's final. Also, because you no longer reside in Oregon, you can't petition the Oregon Circuit Court for a name change. You must file your petition in New York.

The DIY link at the NY website will walk you through the process of filling out the petition form. Click here.

After you fill out the form, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to help.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!