Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I had a bank account with BBVA Compass. about a month ago i

Customer Question

Hi i had a bank account with BBVA Compass. about a month ago i went to use my debit card, and was unable to use it. So I called the bank and they couldnt give me any information other then I needed to speak with the fraud department. Which at that time they were closed, so I waited until Monday and called I spoke with someone she said that my account had been frozen due to fraudulent online transfers. and there was a specific investigator dealing with my account. and she would contact the person to see if she could get more information. After a few days she called back and gave me the information of the lady i needed to speak with. So i called and l called and left a voicemail. After about a week and a half I finally got a call back by a women named Lisa who works in the investigation/recovery dept. She asked my questions, I informed her that my computer had been lost, and it had my financial information saved in it. she told me to make a police report because there had been $4000.00 transfered from my account to someone elses account.she said shes trying t figure out how myself and this other customer are tied together. and that my money would only be refunded if the transfered had something to do on there end. But being that my computer was lost with my financial information in it, that it had been "hacked" and they arent liable for that. So now here it is a month i havent had access to my money what can I do?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Have you gone to the bank with your copy of the police report and talked in person to an officer about lifting the freeze?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i gave the banks investigator the police report number. She keeps telling me shes looking into it further. and she says if it was on the banks end that the transfered were made then i will get my money back but if not then im liable. but dont banks usually refund you your money while they do there investigation? i just need to know what are my rights as far as getting my money returned to me I dont want to continue doing business with them any more
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

You can start by going over there in person and talking to a bank officer and demanding to know what's going on. This is a fraud matter. That means calling the bank and claiming that you are you isn't likely to convince them to lift the hold. Go in and demand an answer to when you will have access to your money.

If you get nowhere, file a complaint with the government against your bank. You can file with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Reserve System. You can see the form for that here.

This should help. If it does not, ultimately, you'd have to retain a lawyer and take legal action against the bank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the person ive been speaking with is located in Texas, Im in Caifornia. and my identity isn't being questioned. i have health issues that prevent me from being as mobile as i'd like. demanding to know when i will have access to my money is not something the bank is entitled to do by law. My question is what are my rights and what can i legally do to get my money back asap. And not at on the banks time.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she clearly stated that there was money transferred from my account to someone else's account. I informed her That i didnt do these transfers. But then she says shes trying to see if it was something that the bank did. or if this happened because my computer was hacked. im tired of the run around. id like to know my rights so when i do speak with her i can inform her of these rights.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

There is no specific time frame your bank's investigation has to take. They don't have to take your word for the fact that you are guiltless in the matter, unfortunately.

I'm not suggesting you go to Texas. An officer at the branch of your bank should be able to make more headway talking to Texas than you can. If you think that enough's enough, you'd involve the bank's regulatory authorities, as I indicated earlier. From there, you'd have to sue.

These are your rights.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I understand you'd like this to happen sooner rather than later. But if you do nothing, the bank will operate on its own time frame rather than yours.