Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

If I am power of attorney and the client dies am I

Customer Question

if I am power of attorney and the client dies am I personally responsible for remaining debt. Will unpaid bills affect my credit score?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Arkansas. Haven't made a commitment on paper yet.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she hasn't passed yet but will soon.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

No, you bear no personal responsibility for the grantor's debts of bills. As a POA you just share their power to make financial decisions about their situation. But when they pass, the POA expires and their estate then becomes liable for any debts or bills and owns all assets that they owned.

.

So no, you aren't liable at all here.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much