Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
68197583

I feel I was wrongly discriminated at a Days Inn Hotel in

Customer Question

I feel I was wrongly discriminated at a Days Inn Hotel in Shoreline, WA. I had reservations from July 13th-July 21st. And then July 21st-July 28th and yesterday on the 21st before checkout I called the front desk asking if I would be able to keep the same room since I had been there since the 13th that way I wouldn't have to change rooms and the lady looked my reservations up and said yes she would be glad to accommodate me and that I just needed to come down by 11 to pay for my next reservation. So I got dressed and got ready and headed down to the front desk to pay. I was as nice as could be on the phone and did the same when I spoke with her at the desk and I pulled out my ID and Credit card and handed it to her and also the 600 for the room. Before I could so much as say hi she gives me a dirty look and tells me that the maids would need to check the room before she could check me out and back in since I had a 100$ room deposit . I said that would be no problem and that my spouse was still in bed and I would go back up to the room and have her get up and dressed and that I would be back down before 11. So I did just that and my spouse got up and dressed and left for work. I came back down and said the room was ready to be checked. She asked if all my stuff was out of the room and I said no I didn't move my stuff out because I thought she said we were staying in the same room but I obliged and went up and move all my stuff out without so much as one complaint. So once again I come back down and she sends the maid up and the maid goes up and checks it and comes back down and gives the A OK that it's in perfect condition. So she tells me she is refunding the 100 back to my credit card and then I go to hand her my money for the next reservation and she tells me no that she isn't going to check me back in and that I need to get my stuff and leave!!! I explain to her I made these reservations in advance and that it's summertime and it's hard to find a hotel same day during summer vacation and asked her what the reason was that she is asking me to leave and why she won't check me in on my reservation and she says she doesn't have to have a reason and that she has the right to refuse whomever she feels like. I'm like what? I did everything you asked and have been nice the whole way thru this whole ordeal which I've never experienced at any hotel in the past and then your telling me you don't have any reason for discriminating me . Of course I got a little upset by this time and tell her this is unfair and that I've done nothing at all to deserve to be treated like this .and her response was "this is why we aren't going to let you stay here" meaning because I got upset that that was the reason why she was refusing service. Now how does that make ANY SENSE. I had only got upset AFTER she refused service to me without reason so how was THAT the reason for refusing service TO BEGIN WITH! She absolutely had no reason for discriminating against me and she was so happy to let me check in over the room phone but the second she took one look at me her whole deamenour changed and she made her mind up right then and there before I could even say one word to her. Keep in mind I'm dressed in a nice north face jacket with adidas pants with a nice crew cut business hairstyle and i felt I was lookin my best and somehow she just made her mind up to ruin my day. I'm 31 years old and yea I look young but I'm very successful and am in the sales industry. It was as if just because I'm a young looking guy she had already made her mind up that I had to go. If that isn't discrimination then I don't know what is. This was the FIRST time I had even seen or talked to this lady the whole week I had been there and the other hotel workers had no issues or problems with me and never said one word to me the whole time I was there so how is it all of a sudden I'm getting tricked into moving all my stuff out and then being lied to saying I could keep the room and then when it came time to pay she thinks she can just tell me to leave for no reason whatsoever. I'm not going to let this go and I will take legal action if nessssary to see she never works there again. And when I called the booking agency to tell them what happened they called the hotel and the only reason he could give them for denieing my reservation was that I BROKE A MAJOR RULE...no long term stays. .... I had been there for 7 days and had another 7 days to go. If that was the reason then why did they not say something when I first checked in because they knew I was going to be staying there that long and never said one word and also when I called down to the front desk that morning she KNEW WHEN I checked in because I asked her if I could keep staying in the same room and she even looked my reservations up to make sure it would work so if that was the reason then why would she lie to me saying that that would be no problem and she would be happy to let me stay in the same room. And then as soon as she sees me goes 180 on me and treats me like trash. I've never been more embarrassed and never felt more judged and discriminated in my life for no reason than how this rude lady treated me and refused services to me and it almost seemed like she got enjoyment out of telling someone that she wasnt going to let them stay there. if she hates her job or life that much that she feels she needs to take it out on the customers than maybe she should quit and find a different job because she seriously messed my day and the whole rest of our vacation up and it was totally uncalled for. And once again this was the morning worker at the Days Inn in Shoreline WA. She's dark hair with glasses. And I have made a complaint with the company and the general manager will be contacted and I will do everything I can to see she never does this to any one else again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been 3 days still no response....
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

My apologies I just became aware of your question. Have you filed an consumer protection complaints with the State and Federal consumer protection divisions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

This is a huge issue for the chain.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it even worth my time to make an issue of it? How would I benefit from taking legal action ?

You will want to file a civil rights complaint against the chain. http://civilrights.findlaw.com/enforcing-your-civil-rights/discrimination-in-public-accommodations-government-enforcement.html

I can only tell you what has occurred in other situations of discrimination.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there currently a class action law suit for days inn?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For discrimination . And after reading what I said how was I discriminated. I feel like it was my age that made her discriminate me or just the way I look. I'm 31 but young looking . She had no problem over the phone but as soon as she took one look at me she said I had to leave after I had already been staying there.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fact that she was going to accommodate me over the room phone but changed her mind once we were face to face is what's bullcrap

I agree with you. You can file a civil rights complaint. I can also provide a link for civil rights Attorney that provide FREE consultations in that area .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That woukd be nice thank you

One moment please.

Thank you for your patience. I wanted to provide the exact information that pertains to your situation.

"Discrimination in Public Accommodation:

Individuals who believe that they have been victims of housing discrimination in public accommodations, such as a restaurant or hotel, may contact the Housing and Civil Enforcement Section. You may file your own lawsuit in federal court or state court and may have some rights under other federal laws, state laws, or local ordinance. You should consult with your local or state civil rights enforcement agency.

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division***** N.W.
Housing and Civil Enforcement Section, NWB
Washington, D.C. 20530(###) ###-####quot; https://www.justice.gov/crt/how-file-complaint

I have more for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Do you have any additional questions for me?