Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My husband and I divorced 10 years ago. He kept the house

Customer Question

My husband and I divorced 10 years ago. He kept the house and continued to make the mortgage. My name is ***** ***** the deed. Will I still get 50 percent even though I moved out and never made a payment
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just our divorce 10 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help. I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money. Some people just prefer the speed of a phone call and that the information not be posted on the public forum.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Yes, the deed is prima facie evidence of title and as the co-owner on the deed you are entitled to half the proceeds from the sale.

If the decree has terms to the contrary, your ex is entitled to file in court to enforce those provisions.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?