Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I'm 22 and I've been talking with a 16 year old but we have

Customer Question

I'm 22 and I've been talking with a 16 year old but we have talked about nothing sexual or anything...do I face the risk of prison time just by talking to her?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing has no but I've been threatened by my sister she will have me arrested just for taking to a 16 year old
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

There is nothing illegal about a 22-year-old being friends with a 16 year old, so long as there is nothing sexual going on between you. Nevertheless, it does raise suspicions that you're paving the way for unlawful sexual activity.

If your sister reported you, you could be subject possibly to police scrutiny, but if your conduct is entirely above board, you cannot be charged with anything just for having innocent conversations with a minor.